RETURN TO TRAINING
Once we go back to university in September we will be resuming club training in accordance with, and adapted to Scottish Government and Scottish Athletics guidelines regarding Covid-19. This will involve a phased approach to return to normality, or a new normal.
We will most likely be in phase 3 of the Scottish Government route map, so we will plan for this, but must be ready to adapt as this may change.
- you can run in a group made up of a maximum of 15 people from any number of households (you will not need to physically distance while in these groups)
- You will have to pre-register for all official club training sessions using sign up genius
- Please adhere to all social distancing measures as well as following all Sports Union, University, Scottish Athletics, Scottish Government and EUHH guidance
- If you feel unwell or have shown any Covid19 symptoms in the past 14 days please self isolate and book a test
- Please note that as winter comes and cold/flu become more common, it will be important to reach out and get a test
How will a standard week look?
To attend any club training, you must sign up for each session, using Sign Up Genius. This will allow us to monitor attendance for track and trace purposes, as well as making sure our sessions aren’t over capacity. Each Sunday, the sessions for the week ahead will become available to sign up for, via web links provided in the captain’s email.
Monday – Club Run
We will have different paced groups that will meet at DVC (Dick Vet Corner in the Meadows, by the play park and traffic lights) in 10 minute intervals. We will have four pace groups (as normal):
- the fast group (4:30/kms for 10km) meet at 18:15
- medium-fast (5:00/kms for 8km) meet at 18:25
- medium-slow (5:30/kms for 6km) meet at 18:35
- jogging group (6:00/kms for 4-5km) meet at 18:45
When you arrive at DVC:
- The run leader will direct you to the open, spacious area on the grass (this will allow for social distancing)
- You will then be split into subgroups maximum of 15 runners
- You will then run in this smaller subgroups and each group will head off in a different direction/route
Tuesday – Sessions
Our volunteer coach James Jarvis will still be running interval sessions on Tuesday evenings. We do not know what the interest for these sessions will be, but in a similar way to Monday run, we will meet in the open space by DVC or Pollock Halls (see weekly email) and will split into smaller, similarly paced groups. This will be difficult for the first few weeks (especially for those new to the club) but as people settle into groups it will become easier to meet at staggered times.
There are also a couple of performance groups (recommended times are sub 17.30min 5k for boys and sub 20min 5k for girls) that will usually have sessions on a Tuesday. These are overseen by coaches who will give out specifics about the sessions.
Wednesday – Gym &/or run
Pre Gym Run (6.15pm meeting outside St. Leonards Gym)
In the past, this has usually only been attended by five or so people. Therefore we will plan to run this as normal, but if we have more interest, we will split the group in subgroups following the guidelines. If we have significant interest we will stagger start times as appropriate.
Gym Session with Calum Meston
Our gym sessions will run at a reduced capacity. For now, we will have a maximum of 15 athletes attending our session. Masks must be worn when not on the weight platforms as well as cleaning hands prior to the first set of the session. We will rotate who gets to come to the session on a weekly basis so everyone who is interested gets a chance to participate.
Thursday – Sessions
These sessions are aimed for people who attend James Jarvis’s Tuesday sessions. They will be led by our student coaching team but planned in conjunction with James. Again, number-dependent, the warm up and session times can be staggered. At the beginning of September the coaches (JJ and the students) will plan the semester’s training to ensure the sessions are cohesive and beneficial for runners
We hope there will be some racing but if not there will likely be some virtual racing that we will keep you posted about!